Apple is sending out RSVPs to developers invited to attend its first in-person WWDC since the COVID-19 pandemic.
With Google I/O now behind us, Apple’s conference will be the next big event in many developers’ diaries. The annual event is normally packed to the rafters but over the pandemic had been relegated to online-only affairs.
This year’s event is returning to having a physical presence and the company has invited a limited number of developers to participate.
Apple opened applications from registered developers to join the event between 9-11 May for what it claims was a randomised process.
Those getting one of the golden (well, black) invites should now find them in their inbox:
The WWDC keynote will still be pre-recorded and streamed online. Attendees will be able to watch the videos alongside Apple’s experts and will be among the first to tour the new
Chocolate Factory Developer Center at Apple Park.
Among the rumours for this year’s keynote:
- Interactive widgets with things like media controls and timers.
- Support for Mac M1-native apps on M1 iPads (one rumour even suggests that Xcode, Final Cut Pro, and others will be released).
- Floating window support on iPad when connected to a keyboard and trackpad for a more desktop-like experience.
- “Significant” improvements to how notifications are handled.
- Expanded atrial fibrillation detection capabilities for watchOS.
- Hardware subscription program.
- Klarna-like “buy now, pay later” feature for Apple Pay.
- Redesigned icons.
- A tease, but not a full reveal, of Apple’s AR/VR headset.
Anyone physically attending this year’s event will need to follow Apple’s health and safety protocols and submit a negative COVID-19 test no later than 72 hours before the event. Masks are currently optional but local laws may change.
WWDC22 is being held 6-10 June.
Looking to revamp your digital transformation strategy? Learn more about Digital Transformation Week taking place in Amsterdam, California and London and discover key strategies for making your digital efforts a success.