Android Things Preview 4.1 includes minor improvements for IoT developers
The latest Android Things preview update only contains minor improvements but could be useful for some IoT developers.
As the incremental version number suggests, this update isn’t filled with exciting new features. The first is support for the Pico i.MX6UL revision B board, while support for earlier revisions are being dropped. The latest board supports many common external peripherals from companies including Adafruit and Pimoroni.
A second addition is a smaller, more optimised version of Play Services designed specifically for IoT devices powered by Android Things. You must use play-services 11.0.0 or later in your build.gradle.
The supported APIs for the Android Things flavour of Play Services are below:
Are you impressed with Android Things so far? Share your thoughts in the comments.
- » Huawei’s smartphone OS due this year, supporting Android apps
- » Sony and Microsoft will partner on cloud, AI, and semiconductors
- » Google calls for Android Automotive developers ahead of I/O 2019
- » Apple sends out WWDC 2019 invites – here’s what to expect
- » Progress CTO: Microapps save time, increase productivity