Android Things Preview 4.1 includes minor improvements for IoT developers
The latest Android Things preview update only contains minor improvements but could be useful for some IoT developers.
As the incremental version number suggests, this update isn’t filled with exciting new features. The first is support for the Pico i.MX6UL revision B board, while support for earlier revisions are being dropped. The latest board supports many common external peripherals from companies including Adafruit and Pimoroni.
A second addition is a smaller, more optimised version of Play Services designed specifically for IoT devices powered by Android Things. You must use play-services 11.0.0 or later in your build.gradle.
The supported APIs for the Android Things flavour of Play Services are below:
Are you impressed with Android Things so far? Share your thoughts in the comments.
- » Tax Justice Network: Google dodged £1.5bn tax in the UK last year
- » GDC: Microsoft wants to bake Xbox Live into mobile games
- » Google will closely vet first-time Android developers for security
- » Play Store enables ‘pre-registration’ feature for all, plus larger app bundles
- » Snapchat’s new platform delivers Mario Party-like games