What issues does a Trusted Execution Environment address?
The richness of today’s connected devices such as smartphones, tablets, set-top boxes and televisions is bringing new challenges to service providers wanting to protect their offering against hackers and malware attacks. At the same time, an increasing number of applications are hosting sensitive, personal and confidential information that could have significant consequences if compromised. Such applications require more protection than can be offered by software solutions alone. This is where the trusted execution environment (TEE) adds value.
As the association which standardizes the management of applications on secure chip technology, GlobalPlatform is working to standardize the TEE. It has developed the below infographic to highlight three key areas – premium content protection, mCommerce/mPayments and enterprise/government environments – where the TEE can be utilized to deliver increased security, demonstrating the importance of this work through some key industry statistics:
Did this help you to understand the benefits of a Trusted Execution Environment?
- » Google is pulling open-source apps which feature donation buttons
- » Google Cardboard goes open-source as VR SDK development halts
- » Apple removes 18 iOS apps for fraudulent advertising activity
- » Project Treble is making a big difference to the speed of Android updates
- » Android 11 looks set to finally add wireless ADB for developers