Where is the money: Drupal, WordPress or Joomla?
Finally, to put to the age old question folks look for jobs want to know. Although WordPress developer and designers enjoy the greatest demand when compared to their Drupal or Joomla counterparts, and even though WordPress outnumbers Drupal and Joomla, Drupal web professionals on average make double what WordPress professionals make per project.
In general CMS projects grew almost 50% quarter over quarter. The number of WordPress projects grew 61%; Joomla projects grew 38%; and Drupal projects grew 26%.
Now these figures are just growth and not the number of actual projects. WordPress projects alone increased 6.5 the number of Drupal projects.
If you're a Drupal nut, don’t feel bad! Drupal projects make a lot more money than WordPress projects. WordPress professionals only make about $455 per project, while a Drupal professional makes around $915 per project.
So where is the money? Sure, most of the money is in WordPress, but this is an extremely crowded space and competition is driving the cost down.
It is hard to make good money in WordPress. Drupal is far less crowded and the money made is double for every sales cycle.
So, if this WordPress craze has you wondering which CMS is best for your business, ask yourself how much do you like to sell? WordPress is a salesman’s market, while Drupal remains a developer's market.
- » GitHub announces native Android and iOS apps alongside new features
- » Android 11 looks set to finally add wireless ADB for developers
- » Facebook adopts Visual Studio Code internally through Microsoft partnership
- » We can work it out: How the Lennon-McCartney partnership can translate to software development
- » Apple launches dedicated mobile app for developers – to eventually replace WWDC app